One of my favourite projects last year was designing and working on a set of pin cushions for the Quilt Fabric Delights Pincushion of the Month Club:
Those of you in the club will have received my pattern by now. I know that a few of the club members are fairly novice sewers so I thought I'd show you a few close up shots to help you. If you're a novice, or there's a new technique in the pattern, it's always nice to see a photo as well as using the pattern as a guide. For many of you adding a Ric Rac trim might be a little tricky:
So here's a few hints and tips for the pin cushions that have that Ric Rac trim:
1. Cut your Ric Rac with a bit of overhang, like in the below photo.
2. Place your Ric Rac (and pin if you like) just as described in the pattern, and as in the photo below. You want most of the width of Ric Rac facing into the centre of the pin cushion.
3. Sew it on using only an 1/8th of an inch seam allowance. This is so that when you sew the front and back of the pin cushion together using a 1/4 of an inch seam allowance you won't see this seam!
4. Sew right to the overhang exactly as shown here:
5. Trim the overhang off now, just like in this photo:
I really hope that those of you in the Pin Cushion of the Month Club really enjoy stitching my pattern. I had a lot of fun creating it!
And Remember: Happy is she who spends her time stitching!
Leanne Beasley xxx
P.S. Sarah has set up a Flickr group for everyone in the Pin Cushion of the Month Club to share their photos, have a look at her blog entry on the 22nd of January 2009 for more information.